STARK METROPOLITAN HOUSING AUTHORITY
400 East Tuscarawas St.
Canton, Ohio 44702
The housing authority provides decent, safe, sanitary, and affordable housing to residents of Stark County . The two programs used to achieve this goal are the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program and the public housing program. In both programs, rent is based on 30% of the family adjusted income. We offer 0 to 5 bedroom units. Eligibility is based on income and various other factors. There is a waiting list for admissions and interested persons need to make application. The place on the waiting list is determined by date of application and various preferences.
STARK METROPOLITAN HOUSING AUTHORITY (SMHA) is accepting applications for housing assisstance at the following locations and times:
CANTON OFFICE - 400 E. Tuscarawas St., Canton
- Tuesdays, 7:00am - 11:00am (first 20 applicants only
- Wednesdays, 7:00am - 6:00pm
- 1st Saturday of the month, 9:00am - 12:00pm
ALLIANCE OFFICE - 135 E. Simpson Ave., Aliance
- 2nd Tuesday of every month, 1:00pm - 4:00pm
The following is a list of documents needed to place an application for housing with SMHA. Without the required documentation, SMHA will not be able to accept your application
- Photo ID for everyone over 18 in your househould. This may be your driver's license or State ID.
- Birth certificates (the one on file with the Health Department) for all household members.
- Social Security cards for all household members.
- Verification of all income that you recieve. This may include income from employment, child support, SSI, Social Security, and other sources.
- Complete names, and addresses of your current, and former landlords.
- Verification of marital status. Marriage certificate, and or divorce or seperation documents (Those on file with the Clerk of Courts.)
- Custody papers if you have court ordered custody arrangements.
- Proof of pregnancy with due date if you're pregnant.
- Enrollment documents if you are attending college or job training, or if you graduated from said training within the past twelve months.
- Proof of residency if you live in a shelter.
- Military discharge certificate or DD Form 214 if you are a veteran or the widow of a veteran.
- Immigration and naturalization documents if applicable
The application process may take several hours. Please plan accordingly, and arrange for childcare if necessary.